Tuesday, December 4, 2007

12/4/07


Back from Applique by the Bay in Lewes, DE. Had a ball again this year. It is so relaxing and fun. Three of us left at 8AM on Wedsnesday. Drove to Bethany Beach, DE where we stopped at Sea Needles. Jam packed shop with knitting, cross stitch and needlepoint. Of course there was some stash enhancement!!!

Then lunch at the Cottage Cafe in Bethany. Second year we have stopped there. Really good food.

Then to Knitty Gritty in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Small but very nice shop. More stash enhancement ensued. I drop in once a year and the owner recognizes me. She even recognized me on the street a couple of days later in Lewes!!! That's impressive. Not like I am one of her regular customers.

Then to Mare's Bears to check in and get ready for a weekend of applique. The motel is closed so the quilters are the only ones there. We sit around in our jammies at night and stitch or knit. Of course, there are several fabulous restaurants within walking distance. What more can you ask for.

Thursday I took a one day class from Nancy Kerns. She is big into Baltimore Album quilts. I enjoyed her talking about the history of the quilts a great deal. I found her applique method to be somewhat cumbersome, but still enjoyed the class. I won't finish the block from that class, but I knew that going in. I took it for the technique, the pattern is to old fashioned for me. I like more modern designs.

Thursday night is the Holiday Open House for the merchants on Second Street. It is so much fun. All the shops are open, serving refreshments, singing in the street. I look forward to it each year.

Friday through Sunday, I took the orchid class (picture above) from Jane Townewick. I have taken classes from her the last 5 years. I just love her designs and methods. Don't be too impressed. The pieces of the flowers are pinned down, not appliqued. I am trying to decide whether I want to leave it on the dark background or put it on a light one.

Saturday night was the Holiday parade. Great small town parade. Had so much fun watching it. Hope nothing bad happened in town while the parade was on, because I think all the emergency response vehicles were in the parade.

Already looking forward to next years Applique by the Bay.

Now I am home getting unpacked and clothes washed so I can I can pack for New York. I leave Sunday at midnight, on a bus. Hope I can get some sleep on the way. It will be fun once we get there, but I am dreading the bus ride. We have tickets to Radio City Rockettes and Hairspray. Now that the strike is over, we will get to see them both. Need to get a pair of basic plain socks started to knit on the bus in case I can't sleep.

I have cancelled/let run out most of my sock of the months in hope of using up some of the yarn. I bet I haven't used 5% of the yarn I have gotten this year from these som's. I just love getting the squishy packages!!!

I am also working on the cross-stitch Christmas ornaments for my nephews, but can't post a picture in case they have found my blog.

Not getting much reading done. I do more in a week at the beach than I do in six months at home. I now have a porch swing at home, but don't have the correct weather right now. Will enjoy it in the Spring.

Boy dogs really know how to get comfortable!!! The girl dog is still upstairs in bed, so don't think she is not comfortable too. She has to sleep late. She usually has breakfast about noon. Life is tough when you are a Princess.

Chat later
Susan



No comments: