Wednesday, August 27, 2008

8/27/08

Got to go to Nags Head, had a great long weekend. My mother's second cataract surgery went just as smoothly as the first, so that is behind us. The next family trauma is getting my parent's new living space finished and them out of their house by the end of October. The construction schedule is so tight, that if anyone sneezes we won't make it!!! Then they are homeless!!

No new FO knittng/crochet projects to show. I have been on a reading jag, so not much handwork done!! I have a four day quilting weekend this weekend, so will get some stuff done then. Hopefully the next update will include a load of FO pictures.

Have been doing a lot of bike riding. Did a 47 mile ride on Saturday and hope to do it again this weekend. We are expecting leftover rain from the tropical storm this week, so hopefully it will clear out so we can ride. The Between the Lights bike ride is September 13th. It is 50 miles on the Outer Banks. That is what we are training for.

I have given up on the Rock and Roll half marathon. I was planning to walk it, but have been having a lot of trouble with leg pain after walking anything over 2 miles. So have had to give this up in favor of the bike. I hope to spend some time with a personal trainer soon to try to work out the leg pain problem.

On the reading list:
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett - This is the second time I have read this book. It is excellent. Long but you really get lost in it. There is an Earl who is a sadist so there is a bit of sexual violence that was troubling, but I think it is probably true to the time. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys political intrique.

Murder on the Ghost Walk - Ellen Elizabeth Hunter - This is a murder mystery set in Willmington, NC. It is light reading, and interesting because I knew some of the places she was talking about. I read it in one day on the beach. It is the first in a series of mysteries set in Willmington. I plan to read them all.

The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alesander McCall Smith - Light mystery. Great character development. You really feel you get to know them. It is a series of short mysteries, not one long involved one. I prefer the long involved mystery. But enjoyed the insite in African culture. This is also a series of books. I will probably read more. This is another book I read in one day, sitting on the beach.

Dog Eat Dog - Laurien Berenson - If you are a dog lover, this is a must read. Murder mystery with a ton of dog stories thrown in. How can you not love a book that almost has more dogs than people in it. Another series. I will be reading more!!! Another one day beach read.

Under you Spell - Lois Greiman - I started this the last day on the beach. I read 100 pages only because I didn't have another book. I would have dropped it in the trash on the beach, but I wanted to make a note of it, so I didn't buy any more books by this author. This is very unusual for me to not finish a book. I just couldn't slog through it. The language was cumbersome and the story wasn't moving. Enough said

Septimus Heap:Queste Book 4 - Angie Sage - If you like Harry Potter, you will like Septimus. He is an Ordinary Wizard in an apprenticeship to be an Extraordinary Wizard. Great fantasy. I have abou 50 pages left. What will be next..............

Told you I had been reading a bunch!!!!

Hopefully I will get something to take a picture of finished by next time.

Puppies are fine. They are still loving the screened in front porch. Sometimes they even sit out there without me!!! I am dreading the weather getting cold and me not getting to sit out there. Of course, then I will so some hand work instead of just read.

Chat later
Susan

No comments: