Monday, September 15, 2008

9/15/08

No picture post since I am on the Outer Banks without my camera. I will have a few finished things when I get back to take pics of, so that gives you something to look forward to....

My sister, my 2 nephews (12 yo) and I rode the 50 mile Between the Lighthouses Bike Ride on Saturday. We all finished. They boys were the youngest to ride that distance, so they have something to be really proud of. My knee "went South" on me at mile 45 and I was very unhappy the last 5 miles, but I made it. I also burned my lower lip!!! I have never burned my lip before, and I don't recommend it. Today it has a scab all across it and is still swollen. I am so afraid I am going to split it. I won't do that again. I will always remember my lip sunscreen!!! Of course, it was a record high temperature day, of course.

Have done some reading. Araminta Spookie #5, a continuation of the young adult series about a witch who has a vampire as an uncle. Really cute and a super quick read. It is by Angie Sage.

Unknown Waters by Alfred McLaren. This is the story of the submarine, the Queenfish, that mapped the area under the Arctic icecap in the 1960's. Since my husband is a retired submariner, this was very interesting to me. It had a little too much of the Navy alphabet shorthand, but other than that it was very readable.

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. This is the first in the Southern Vampire series. I think there are 8 in the series. It was very good. I look forward to the next one. It is another of the "politically correct" vampires books where vampires don't bite people!!!

Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg. This follows the book of Ezekiel and it's predictions of the future as compared to what is happening in the world today, and how close we are to the end of days. It was very good until the last chapter. Then it became a little "too" religious. More like a sermon than a book. But overall it was very good.

Mayday by Nelson DeMille and Thomas Block. Very good, but DeMille's books always are. This is a subspace passenger airliner that is shot by a Navy missile during a secret test. Very good. Hard to put down.

Now I am going to read the draft of Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyers. This is the Twilight series from Edwards prospective. She was writing the book and someone leaked it on the internet. She is so upset, she isn't sure she is going to finish it. But of course, I have to read the draft. I sent the pdf from the internet to my Kindle, so I could read it. Bad, I know!!!

I have been appliquing on the Charming Leaves quilt. I have 3 more blocks and the borders. So if I would work on it, it wouldn't take long!!! It is the working on it thing!!

Well off to the showers!!

Chat later
Susan

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Congratulations on the 50 mile ride, Susan. You're amazing! I hope you're not suffering too much today.