Monday, August 17, 2009

8/17/09


Happy 81st B'day Daddy!!! ;-)

He is doing well currently. Hopefully it will stay that way for quite some time. My uncle, Daddy's brother died the 25th of July. He had such a rough last week, that it was a blessing. He would have been 83 the 15th of August, had he made it that long.

This is my second Classic Cardigan. It is mindless knitting and it fits me well. I have the third one underway. It is teal. You will be seeing it soon.




This Nonna's Garden, the kit came from Knitpicks. it was NOT a mindless knit. I love it. It feels so good. I have to get a backing for it. And, of course, block it. I have a stack of about 10 things that need blocking. Guess that is why I like socks, I don't block them, I just wear them!!!

I started the first block of the Lollypop Tree quilt. I have reduced it by 25% in size. I started it the weekend that my uncle died. It got laid aside and it is still "resting". I LOVED this when I saw the picture online. But when I got it the blocks were HUGE. I fell out of love, so I reduced the size. The love hasn't returned yet. I need to work on it more, now that things have calmed back down, so see if I can rekindle the romance.

I have been doing a lot of reading. I joined the Sookie Stackhouse challenge. You are supposed to read the 9 books between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010. I read all in about 3 weeks. They are written by Charlaine Harris. The are quite good. They are vampire books, but not scary vampires. And somewhat tongue in cheek. You have to read them, just to find out who "Bubba" is!!! ;-)

Dead Until Dark (Southern Vampire #1)
Living Dead in Dallas (Southern Vampire #2)
Club Dead (Southern Vampire #3)
Dead to the World (Southern Vampire #4)
Dead as a Doornail (Southern Vampire #5)
Definitely Dead (Southern Vampire #6)
All Together Dead (Southern Vampire #7)
From Dead to Worse (Southen Vampire #8)
Dead and Gone (Southern Vampire #9)

Now I have started a Lisa Jackson challenge. I have started her "New Orleans" series. So far I have read

Hot Blooded
Cold Blooded
The Night Before

So far Hot Blooded is my favorite. Cold Blooded was a little predictable, but I still enjoyed it very much. The Night Before is very different. It is actually the start of a separate series of her books, as well as #3 in the New Orleans series. I would recommend these. They are mostly murder mysteries (serial killers, all, so far) with a little romance thrown in!! So there is something for everyone in these books.

I also read Snowbound by Larissa Ione. It was good, but not nearly as good as her Demonica series.

Also, Jackie and Bobby by C David Heymann. The premise of the book is that Jackie and Bobby Kennedy had an affair from the time Jack was shot until Bobby was shot. Rehash of a lot of things we had heard before.

At this point, I am reading books 60 and 61 for the year. My goal was 52, so I am somewhat ahead of target. Course, if I would quit reading so much, I could get some other things done!!! But the weather so so nice to sit on the porch with my nose in a book!!

I have also made Watermelon Rind Pickle and Dill Pickle. It is my first attempt at pickle, so in a couple of weeks I can find out how I did. I am "crocking" the dill pickles, so they have to sit in the brine for 3 weeks. I didn't have a crock big enough, so they are in the punchbowl!! It looks pretty funny sitting on the kitchen counter full of pickle.



This is who is sitting next to me while I type this!! They have to keep me company!!

Chat later
Susan

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Hi Susan,
It's good to hear from you and see photos of some of your wonderful knitting. I never could master it!
All thumbs I guess. lol
I'm glad to hear your Dad is doing better, but I was sorry to hear about your Uncle. That must have been very hard for your Dad.

Dorothy said...

Hi Susan,
Haven't heard from you in a while.
Hope all is well.

SissySees said...

Good grief you are talented!! Love those pups... I'm glad you found my blog and I hope you'll return to blogging so we can see more of those impressive knits!

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Great job on Nonna's Garden Shawl! I had someone knit it for me and I am presently reblocking it and thinking seriously before I line it. I am going to use a very lightweight wool. The pattern photo differs from the Fall 2009 catalogue photo if you look closely at the edging. I want to maintain the "piping" green edge, not turn the edge as suggested in the pattern. Challenge I think. Let me know if you've lined yours?

Lesley Looper said...

Just stumbled upon your blog on Goodreads. Hope you'll continue posting as time permits! How's your dad?